Test APIs through Postman Step by Step
Postman is presently one of the most well-known tool utilized in API testing. It began in 2012 as a side task by Abhinav Asthana to improve API work process in testing and advancement. Programming interface represents Application Programming Interface which enables programming applications to speak with one another by means of API calls.
Application Programming interface is a characterized set of standards, which contains unmistakably characterized techniques for communication. Programming interface causes diverse programming parts to connect with one another. Programming interface testing includes testing the accumulation of APIs and checking on the off chance that they meet desires for usefulness, unwavering quality, execution, and security and returns the right reaction.
API Testing is utilized to decide if the yield is well-organized and helpful to another application or not, checks the reaction on premise of information parameter, and checks how much time the API is taking to recover and approve the information as well.
Why use Postman for API testing
- Accessibility: To utilize Postman, one would simply need to sign in to their own records making it simple to access documents whenever, anyplace up to a Postman application is introduced on the PC.
- Use of collections: Postman gives clients a chance to make accumulations for their API calls. Every accumulation can make subfolders and different solicitations. This aides in arranging your test suites.
- Automation Testing: Using the Collection Runner or Newman, tests can be kept running in different cycles sparing time for tedious tests.
- Debugging: Postman support checks what information has been recovered making it simple to troubleshoot tests.
- Continuous Integration: With its capacity to help persistent mix, improvement practices are kept up.
How to use Postman
You can download and install the postman from the browser. When you open the dashboard the below window will be seen.
How to create your first request
- A GET Method
- The auth_token query parameter whose value will be the personal API Key.
You have to enter the following details into the Postman application
- Select the GET Method
- Add the URL
- Click on the “Params” to add URL query Params
- Fill the key value pair for auth_token query param.
- Then click on send and run the HTTP request.
When the request will executes successfully you will see the result appear in the window below with the information containing status code returned and the request time.
You can make the process even easier by importing the requests. It is time taken process to enter all the requests to test multiple APIs. Postman has the feature of import requests directly from certain formats. You should follow the below simple steps while importing the requests.
- Click on import
- Select the option “Paste Raw Text” and paste in the curl command text.
- Again click on import for importing request
Exporting requests as code
Features and benefits of Postman
- Easy Syntax
It has simple syntax which helps in making the test easier to write and read.
- Error Handling
If error in the script occurs then only that test will fail and the other test will still run. Error will be displayed for the failed scripts.
- JSON Schema Validation
Client can approve reactions again a particular JSON mapping by utilizing declaration as response.body.should.have.schema
Thank you for reading this post. we hope you like this Post, Please feel free to comment below, your suggestion. if you face any issue with this code let us know. We’d love to help! Stay tuned!